Here Are Some Tips That Will Make it Easier For You to Talk to Your Doctor:
- Bring someone else with you. It helps to have another person hear what is said and think of questions to ask.
- Write out your questions ahead of time, so you don’t forget them.
- Write down the answers you get, and make sure you understand what you are hearing. Ask for clarification, if necessary.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions or about where you can find more information about what you are discussing. You have a right to know.
Specific Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Your Fibroids
- What are fibroids and what causes them?
- What treatment options are available?
- What medications are available to me?
- What are the benefits/side effects of these medications?
- Will these medications interact with other medications, over-the-counter products, or dietary/herbal supplements that I am already taking?
- What surgical or minimally invasive treatment is appropriate for me?
- Why do you recommend this option?
- What should I do to be ready for treatment?
- What is involved with this treatment and how long will it take?
- What are the risks and side effects?
- How quickly can I return to normal activities, such as work or exercise?
- What is likely to happen without treatment?
- Are there any alternative or complementary therapies that will help me?
Specific Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Life After Your Fibroid Treatment
- How will my fibroids and the treatment affect my fertility and sex life?
- What are the chances my fibroids will come back after treatment?
- How will I know that my treatment has been effective?
- What is my expected prognosis?
- How often will I need checkups?